WE'RE LOOKING FOR HELP THIS SUMMER!
Summer Youth Program Intern or Volunteer
The Youth Farm is a 1 acre diversified production farm engaging the school community and surrounding neighborhood in farm-based experiential learning. Farm products are sold at a weekly farmers market increasing community access to fresh affordable food. Every summer we hire twelve youth from the high school to be a part of our Summer Youth Program, which provides them with training in leadership, horticulture, food justice, nutrition, and community organizing.
We are seeking applicants to help staff our Summer Youth Leaders Program as an Intern or Volunteer beginning no later than July 7 (depending on your availability, you could start as early as the beginning of June), and ending on August 31 with orientation days in the last week of June. The applicant should be an enthusiastic self-starter, preferably with some experience in gardening or farming, lesson planning, team management, and motivating and inspiring teens. The ideal candidate should be equally comfortable taking initiative and working collaboratively in a close-knit team environment.
Roles and responsibilities include:
- Helping to manage 12 youth farmers
- Motivating youth to engage in farm activities ranging from irrigation and weeding to marketing and selling at the farm stand
- Supporting teens in the creation of a team environment
- Working with farm team to evaluate how youth development objectives are being met
- Supporting documenting work through teen created videos and writings
- Teaching or other educational experience
- Some farm/garden experience preferred
- Experience supervising others, particularly teens
- Outgoing and engaging personality
- Experience with non-profits, urban farming, food preparation, and/or nutrition a plus
- Social media and outreach experience
This position is unpaid, however we can offer vegetables, flowers and herbs from the farm. We ask interns to commit a minimum of 8 hours per week. Please send a cover letter and resume to Patricia Noto at firstname.lastname@example.org. The letter should include details of your availability, as well as details about your relevant experience.